What is Radon?
Radon is a radioactive gas formed by the breakdown of uranium in the ground, and can get into your home undetected. You can’t smell it, taste it or see it, but can be detected with special equipment. Radon gas is a leading cause of lung cancer and one in five homes in New Brunswick has elevated levels beyond the Canadian guidelines.
Risk of Exposure
When inhaled, radon gas can irradiate sensitive lung tissue, increasing your risk of lung cancer. The higher the concentrations and the longer the exposure, the higher the risk of cancer.
“Health Canada estimates a non-smoker exposed to elevated levels of radon over a lifetime has a 1 in 20 chance of developing lung cancer. If a smoker is exposed to the same level of radon over a lifetime, the risk increased to a 1 in 3 chance”
The Canadian government recommends remedial measures be taken in a dwelling when the average annual radon concentrations exceed 200Bq/m3 in the lowest livable area.